Wednesday 27 August 2008

A Party, My Party, A Street Party








































It’s been a few years since I last held an end of Fringe party. This year I suggested the idea to Merrisa. She took on the idea and was able to help out with a data projector and a bar tab to help the evening start with a bang.
Going with a bang (was appropriate as some of the Fringe staff didn’t make it due to a fire at the mound)

The venue this year The City Cafe, Blair Street. We took over their downstairs function space.

It was a perfect space. The right size for the numbers that had arrived throughout the night. The bar staff at the start of the night must have regreted the fact to start with they were working on the downstairs bar. As being a smoker I did have to make a break a few times during the night for a cigarette; and upstairs seemed a little quieter than normal. But at the end even working in a bar can be fun when you've the right mix of people and my party does have the ability of bringing the right group of people together.
Performers, Fringe staff, rubbish busters and one or two invited guests.
I was amazed that being it was a slide show party that people were watching. Imagine back a few years to when you might have been invited to holiday photo slide shows; something that you’d do your best to avoid. This one seemed to have attracked everyone that mattered.
“Even Phil Kay, who I’d shot just a few days before made it down.”




Once again I’d been told that I had to put down a hat. It’s not something I do easily. It’s great to be appreciated, and that’s the reason I do it. I’d rather have work borrowed or in a worst case scenario stolen, than put prices on it to sell. Not everyone can afford a photo valued at hundreds of pounds, but as a gift it’s value increases beyond compare. My hat was light. My origami line thought of on the night went down well. “An original line by Mr Brown.” Not borrowed or stolen from the many botteling speeches I’ve heard.
The night lasted well into the early hours. And as the numbers thinned out the more energetic performers and Fringe staff took to the now empty dance space. Noel described the chance to dance the night away as the best he’d experienced throughout the Festival.



During the course of the evening I'd not taken my camera out early on. As I've always said for me it's a PR exercise. It's about thanking people for allowing me into their "space" to take photos. Whether it be a Fringe steward, rubbish buster or street performer.




I did try my best to catch as many people as I could. But the blur of beer was making life a little more difficult as the night wore on.



And for a few moments I did pick on one of my favourite subjects as someone to annoy.



She does have an amazing range of clothes in her wardrobe. And always looks amazing in them.











And the other




exciting thing I like about this as an exhibition party



is as I've mentioned in previous blogs; there can't be many exhibitions that the exhibition and the exhibition party venue



becomes part of the exhibition.





(Just this moment had a wonderful idea for an exhibition for sometime in the future all I need is a venue.)




Over the next few days I was asked about how I felt the party went.


My response was to ask the question of the person asking.














Everyone seemed to have had a great time, which for me was the answer I’d give them back.




The party was not about me, but about everyone else.



And a great time was certainly had by all that I spoke to.




And one final word on the evening. I do have to thank Stickman for providing his laptop and skill in dealing with the AV issues we had. My laptop didn't talk to the Fringe projector, and the Fringe laptop just didn't like or couldn't cope with just as many images.

So Tim I really do owe you a beer.

No comments: